Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:46:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, phk@phk.freebsd.dk, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Indiscriminately installing all .h files in /usr/include/*

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Sam Leffler wrote:

:> In message <20030210221501.GF88781@elvis.mu.org>, Alfred Perlstein writes:
:> >* Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> [030210 14:09] wrote:
:> >> >
:> >> > If there was a way to do it via cpp defines inside the header that
:would
:> >> > be nice.
:> >>
:> >> Something like this perhaps?
:> >> ^/* EXPORT_HEADER */$
:> >
:> >Yes, something like that.  I know of one company that brackets the
:> >headers with $COMPANY_PRIVATE for stuff that shouldn't be visible in
:> >/usr/include. if you wind up with an empty file it isn't even installed.
:>
:> I would prefer labeling the stuff that should go into /usr/include,
:> it shouldn't be the default to export stuff unless you ask for it.
:
:Sticking this stuff inside include files means modifying imported files.
:I'd actually prefer a mechanism like this to lurk in the Makefiles as you
:can fully encapsulate requirements like the /usr/include/<dir> is different
:than the source directory.

I hate adding more files to complicate matters, but it would nice to have
some sort of template that could be used to generate where files ended up.
Sort of like fsdef (file system definition) file does with fsgen.

Not sure if it's exactly what's wanted for here, but it's just what came
to mind when this "issue" came up.

Cheers,
Andrew

--