Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:42:02 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Jon Bebeau <jbebeau@1nettw.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Small FreeBSD Implementation questions

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 08:20:50AM -0500, Jon Bebeau scribbled:
| I'm looking at moving FreeBSD into a small system to serve as
| a Wireless router.  I've been using FreeBSD in i386 in an ISP,
| mostly for Sendmail, DNS and Radius some Apache too.  Now I'd
| like to squeeze it into a PC/104 or something like that, with
| only a "RamDisk" for storage.  I need a console port, Ethernet
| port, PCMCIA port and enough horsepower to boot, drive the few
| devices and route TCP/IP traffic.

A 486 or a pentium would do the job.  Considering that you probably
want encryption on the wireless network, a pentium in a small motherboard
form factor would be good.  Usually, for this type of systems,
we use a flash-type device such as a CompactFlash disk.
The other devices can be added on.  In addition, you might simply
find a motherboard maker who is still making notebook style motherboard
for Pentiums.  It has been agreed that a 32mb or 24mb CF disk would
do fine running 4.x or 3.x.  Read the -small archives, should be of help
to you.

--Michael