Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 1996 07:06:10 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        steve@edmweb.com (Steve Reid)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mosaic Binary available for download?

> [Excuse me while I complain about Netscape]
> For now, I'm using the "Unknown-BSD" Netscape 2.01 on my 8 meg 486DX-25,
> but it's not exactly stable... I often end up with multiple Netscape
> windows when I only open one, and once in a while it reboots the machine.

I have never seen that. We do get occasional sig 11's from netscape. We
had two students here that did some netscape surfing for two weeks and
they got regular sig 11's (2-3 times a day) on a machine that I am pretty
sure that does not have harware problem (it does make worlds without
problem and is our regular server).

> Just last night, I was using Netscape, and the system froze completely..
> I could move the mouse pointer, but I couldn't click on anything.
> CTRL-ALT-Backspace and CTRL-ALT-Delete wouldn't work... The whole system
> was frozen, and I had to hit the reset button. Worst of all, for the few
> minutes that the system was frozen, that STUPID netscape logo was STILL
> GOING!!! AND I COULDN'T KILL THE FRAGGIN THING!!! ARGH!!!!!!

Are you sure the machine was really dead? I found that the there is some
problem between netscape and fvwm (the window manager that I use) which
result in keyboard that does not work and focus that does not want to change.
Restarting fvwm from the menus fix that.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za