Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 23:52:41 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time to retire fetch?

> > I just noticed that FTP in -current now supports http:// style
> > fetches, a feature which seems to have crept in under my nose during
> > the sync with NetBSD's ftp client.
>
> And I made it know at the time my strong opposition to such changes.
> It's simply idiotic for an interactive for the FTP protocol to know
> the slightest thing about the HTTP protocol.

I think "idiotic" is a little on the strong side here.  From the
practical point of view, you could argue that it's pretty idiotic that
there are so many different programs (ftp, fetch, rcp, uucp, etc.) for
moving a file from one system to another.

> (Another bogus change at
> the same time: the `ls' command was broken to generate the `NLST'
> command instead of `LIST'.)

In practice, how bogus is this?  If you want the 'nlst' behaviour,
there is the 'nlist' command.  (If it *is* bogus, feel free to change
it back, or ask me to...)

> AFAIK, fetch is still the only client we have to do MD5 digests, HTTP
> authentication, HTTP/1.1, transaction TCP, and transparent redirects.

These are all good features to have.  If having them in the 'fetch'
program is the only way to have them, then we should keep it.  8)

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\