Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:15:34 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        <lucasc@calweb.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Makefile Problem-I think...

From: Lucas J. Carlson <lucasc@calweb.com>
>I am currently having a problem installing ports.  I keep coming up with
>this error on most of the ports I install...
>===>  kdelibs-1.0 depends on shared library: gif.3 - not found
>===>  Verifying install for gif.3 in /usr/ports/graphics/giflib
>"Makefile", line 24: Malformed conditional (${PORTOBJFORMAT} == "elf")
>"Makefile", line 24: Need an operator
>"Makefile", line 26: if-less else
>"Makefile", line 26: Need an operator
>"Makefile", line 28: if-less endif
>"Makefile", line 28: Need an operator
>make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>
>I was trying the install kde onto my system at the time, but I noticed
>it does it with alot of different ports.
>
>I included the makefile with this message.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The most common reason for this error is an out of date bsd.port.mk file.

Check if you have version >= 1.227.2.57 of this file in /usr/share/mk.  If
you don't then you need to ftp the file from:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable/src/share/mk.tar

and then untar the bsd.* file into /usr/share/mk.

Scot