Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 20:21:43 +0200
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Server Admin <admin@sage-one.net>
Cc:        Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ddclient and Dynamic DNS servers

Server Admin wrote:

> hmmmm, Paul & Kathy: Both descriptions of installations and use of ddclient
> seems in conflict with my experience.
>
> First, when installed ddclient comes with its own startup script
> ddclient.sh.sample, which is merely renamed to ddclient.sh. It is used at
> bootup and starts as a daemon and checks immediately the dynamic ip
> connection for updates to dns.
>
> Then, these commands can be used to start/stop services:
> # sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ddclient.sh stop
> # sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ddclient.sh start
>
> Further, the script above runs dcclient as a daemon:
> /usr/local/sbin/ddclient -daemon 300
>
> To make it complete, dcclient checks for any needed IP updates every five
> minutes on its own. If it sees a change (from ifconfig tun0), it updates
> and send me a message that it did so. Otherwise it just works quietly in
> the background.

Duh! I think I have to take a pill or something to wake up before I make
any postings here. :-) Kathy did ask about ddclient, and I started to write
about ddup.

Anyway I think I tried ddclient for some time, but as I have limited memory
(in my computer :-) I did go with ddup instead. ddclient starts up Perl,
and keeps it running if started as a daemon, which takes some MB's of memory.
ddup is on the other hand a nice little C program that makes essentially the
same thing. It starts, does its update, then stops and returns any allocated
memory. Also using a crontab script, as ddupcron.sh, does not affect memory
as cron anyway always is running. That's why I'm using ddup. But it also,
as I wrote before, got me kicked out from my dyn dns for a week as I had not
found the ddupcron.sh at the time, and hence did a real update every tenth
minute. :-) Now it though works ok!

If Kathy wants to use the memory in her computer the most efficient way, ddup
is the way to go. If she on the other hand wants an easy to use client she
should probably go with ddclient.

> Beautiful program....!!! Does it all out of the box!

Agree! It works well! But it used up too much memory in my little old com-
puter.

> .... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jack L. Stone