Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:29:14 GMT
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: misc

[I don't normally get motivated enough to followup stuff like this, but WTH,
I'm in a bad mood today anyway]

wb2oyc@cyberenet.net said:
>On 22:59:27 Snob Art Genre wrote:
>>>On Thu, 13 Feb 1997 wb2oyc@cyberenet.net wrote:
>>
>>Hmm, somehow only flamers seem to have that impression.  I have found
>>there to be a lot of generosity and cooperation around here.
>>
>Thats crap!  You guys flamed me for telling it like it is!  You couldn't
>deal with the facts.  All I did was lay it out there.  It was you guys that
>came back with the nonsensical comments making fools of yourselves.

Yeah yeah, you only got flamed after you posted a bunch of advocacy to a
questions list, didn't you?  Any individual with enough clue to read the
documentation is aware that FreeBSD support for atapi CDROMs is alpha quality;
no-one is making any secret of that.  It's not a priority of the developers to
expend massive effort on supporting evil hardware (which atapi assuredly is).
Perhaps if you'd actually asked a question instead of flaming we might have
been able to help get your system running....

>>> they all work and FreeBSD doesn't, whose wrong here dude?  You
>>
>>No Microsoft OS works by any definition of "work" that I use.  Linux
>>works, FreeBSD works.
>>
>You've got your head in the sand if you really believe that!  I hate uSlop
>too, and the only reason I do have it here at all is because I need it to
>support those at work!  Thats why I prefer Linux or FreeBSD, and use
>both far more than the other crap.  But you guys really do have a holier
>than thou attitude sometimes.  I've been on this list for about a year by
>the way, so I'm not some transient flamer............
>Paul

If you don't like it, don't use it -- it's not like you've invested a whole
bunch of cash in FreeBSD (or Linux for that matter).  But don't come on a
questions forum -- whose purpose it to help people, not flame them -- and
start making stupid comments about things you clearly don't understand.  Most
of the people on this list are more than helpful, although it is interesting
to note that it's usually the more rabid Linux advocates who provide the
exceptions to that rule.  You prefer Linux to FreeBSD?  Fine.  I really
couldn't care less.  Take it to comp.os.linux.advocacy.

>>> guys walk around with your nose in the air, and can't admit it when
>>> somethings wrong, and all you do is take pot shots at everybody
>>> else; especially Linux.  Its pretty lousy if you ask me, so this was a
>>> chance to cut you down to size, and I took it!  Kinda like braggin
>>> about your ports collection, when about half of them aren't really
>>> there, and the net links are broke, or the files are corrupt.....I think
>>> its time you get real!

Right back at you, bub.

>><insert bemused silence here>

Ditto.  When will these people get a clue?

>>> Paul
>>>

>> Ben
>>
>>"You have your mind on computers, it seems."

	Scott

   Scott Mitchell, CompSci Dept, Queen Mary & Westfield College, London, UK
         mailto:scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk   http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~scott
              finger scott@ruby.dcs.qmw.ac.uk for PGP public key