Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 18:08:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        trost@cloud.rain.com (Bill Trost), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth throttling etc.

<<On Sat, 25 Apr 1998 15:56:16 -0500 (EST), "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net> said:

> AFAIK, and I am NOT a networking export, we need to improve the sockets
> layer as much as the lower level networking code.

Actually, we need to get rid of the socket layer altogether.  It was a
good idea to save coding effort and .text space when all we had were
VAXen with 1 MB of core, but if we really want network protocols to go
fast, we need to write all of the upper-layer functionality in ways
which are specific to the needs of the network protocols (and,
eventually, to the applications).  I have done about 10% of this
work for UDP, but suspended that effort last fall to work on more
immediate concerns.  (If you want to look at how this might be taken
to extremes, look at the Exokernel, <http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/>.  I
don't think we'll see production systems go this far because of
serious manageability issues, but it's one very compelling
demonstration of that end of the spectrum.)

Anyone who's interested in discussing this more, please contact me
privately; perhaps we can put together a mailing-list.

-GAWollman