Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:29:26 +0100
From:      des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
Cc:        Richard Nyberg <rnyberg@it.su.se>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: XFree86 4.3.0 update

Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu> writes:
> This ended up being a problem with the fontconfig port, and should be
> fixed in current ports. Note that a make install in fontconfig won't fix
> it because it doesn't overwrite the fonts.conf, but deinstalling first
> or using portupgrade should work though.

I'm also having trouble with xclock, but I have an up-to-date
fontconfig (this is a new box, so it never had a broken fontconfig):

des@dwp ~% pkg_info | grep fontconf
fontconfig-2.1_6    An XML-based font configuration API for X Windows

The problem is that xclock ignores the "XClock*font" property and the
-fn parameter, and just uses whatever font it pleases (some kind of
sans-serif demibold monospace font I don't recognize).  It does obey
-fa (font face) like xterm, but does not support -fs (font size) and
seems to be stuck at size 12 or 14 or thereabouts.

Speaking of xterm, I tried using -fa / -fs instead of -fn / -fb (to
get antialiasing), but the line spacing is wrong - it looks to be
about 1.5.  Also, the size selection in the "VT Fonts" menu seems to
be out of order.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org