Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:30:01 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Novice question about testing sound cards

In message <3DC71F42.7070401@cream.org>, you wrote:

>>>Yes, give it a try.
>>

>> I tried it, and nothing happened.  No sound came out.
>>
>> I cat'd the file to /dev/dsp0.  Was that correct?
>
>Sorry Ronald, I don't know what else to check from there. My advice
>would be to try an mp3 or other media player.

OK, I found the problem.

Yesterday I had one of those ``DUH!'' moments.

First let me explain that the only kind of speakers I have available
are a pair of *non-amplified* speakers.

Sound card, it seems, come with two different types of output jacks...
one (`line out') suitable only for connecting up to _amplified_ speakers,
and the other (`speaker out') suitable for connecting up to a pair of
_non-amplifed_ speakers of the kind I have.

Well, of course, I had my pair of non-amplified speakers plugged into
the `line out' jack, and thus, any sounds produced by my sound card
were just barely audible, and only when I held my ear right up to the
speaker(s).

It's amazing how helpful reading the installation manual for your sound
card can be!  (Like DUH!)

My thanks to Creative Labs for still having (and keeping) a copy of the
installation manual for this ancient and crusty SoundBlaster 16 (that I
bounght second-hand) available on their web site.

Thanks, of course, also to Andrew, for trying to help me out with this.

Who knew that the answer would be something so simple and obvious!