Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:49:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@casidy.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to use a parralel scanner + SANE + FreeBSD?

Hello!

I need your help ;)

I have a quite old GT6500 Epson flatbed scanner I want to make work
under FreeBSD.

My OS is FreeBSD 4.2-BETA #0 (I am compiling a new one now)
Sane is 1.0.3

dmesg says about my parralel port:
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0

I changed the sane dll.conf file to have just "epson" uncommented.
I edited epson.conf so it looks like :

# here are examples for how to configure the EPSON backend
scsi EPSON
#   option color_correction   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#
#pio 0x278
pio 0x378
#pio 0x3BC
#scsi EPSON
# /dev/scanner
# usb /dev/usbscanner

But:

bash-2.03# scanimage
scanimage: no SANE devices found
bash-2.03# scanimage -d epson:/dev/ppi0
scanimage: open of device epson:/dev/ppi0 failed: Invalid argument
bash-2.03# scanimage -d epson:/dev/lpt0
<waits 1 or 2 seconds>
scanimage: open of device epson:/dev/lpt0 failed: Invalid argument

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Philippe.