Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 07:03:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        Dimitri Vlahakis <dcv@panix.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape floating point exception

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Dimitri Vlahakis wrote:

> I've installed the netscape atlas beta into my freebsd 2.1 system using
> the port makefile.  Unfortunately, whenever I try to run it I get the
> opening window, but when I click on the window and it then tries to load
> netscape's page it dumps core and exits with the message "floating
> exception"  The same thing happened when I tried running netscape 2.1.
>
> Anybody familiar with what may be causing this problem?

I get the same thing with Atlas, exiting on signal 8.  For me, I'm
guessing its the 8meg ram I have. Then again, it is a Preview release
and bound to have some problems.  Have you tried the 1.2 version?
Its much smaller.

I usually restart netscape and hit the home button as soon as the
window fills in (netscape voodoo). Usually after three or four tries it
becomes stable. Once it is stable it holds up well to intense surfing.

> thanks,
>
> dimitri

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com