Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 19:50:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org, huntting@glarp.com
Subject:   Re: changing timezones

:I still don't understand what you're saying about programs not liking
:the time zone changing from under them.  Typically any program which
:uses time zones will access /etc/timezone once only.  It remains stuck
:in that time zone.  That may be a nuisance (I find it annoying with
:syslogd, for example, but kill -1 will fix that).  I frequently fly
:transpacific without rebooting, but change through all time zones
:where I stop over.  I've never had any problems.
:
:Greg

    I think you missed the original article.  The idea was to try to
    have a running programming automatically detect the timezone change
    and adjust its internal state accordingly.  Doing that automatically
    without the programming knowing isn't a good idea.

    Adding code to sendmail, syslogd, cron, etc... to detect the change
    at a safe point, on the otherhand, might be interesting.  But,
    ultimately, I think it would be kind of a waste of programming
    hours to do.

						-Matt