Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2014 16:05:51 -0400
From:      "Fred Koschara" <blog14912@wfredk.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   NASA's plans, Sept. 11, 1969, and what they mean today

In yesterday's Space History Newsletter[1], you will find this information:

    Program information, NASA manned space flight after 1969

  Two major directions were identified for NASA's manned space flight in the
  next decade on 11 September 1969.  These were further exploration of the
  Moon, with possibly the establishment of a permanent Lunar surface base, and
  the continued development of manned flight in Earth orbit, leading to a
  permanent manned space station supported by a low-cost shuttle system.  To
  maintain direction, the following key milestones were proposed:

  By 1990
    Earth orbit space base
    Lunar surface base
    Possible Mars landing

An excerpt from my commentary[2]:

  Historically, two things have led to growth of the American economy –
  expansion into new frontiers, and innovation – creation of new industries,
  and new methods for existing ones.  Since there are no longer any frontiers
  available on the Earth, there's only one option left: Innovation is what has
  to drive economic growth.  While there have been bursts of development such
  as introduction of personal computers and the whole set of industries that
  grew out of that innovation, and there are many fields where incremental
  innovation can be seen today, the whole-economy blast of innovation painted
  in broad strokes that led to six pairs of astronauts landing on the Moon
  hasn't been seen since the government-funded space program was castrated in
  the early 1970's.  Developing a strong space exploration and development
  program, one that can and will achieve the kind of plans laid out in NASA's
  1969 outline, will require a lot of innovation, in nearly every field of
  endeavor.  That is how to solve the economic woes the country now finds
  itself mired under.

To get the whole story, please see my blog post at
http://wfredk.com/blog/2014091109/nasas-plans-sept-11-1969-and-what-they-mean-today