Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 01:53:03 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perhaps i am just stupid.

Don Yuniskis wrote:

> It seems that Robert Nordier said:
> > Gary Chrysler wrote:
> >

> [stuff about DOS sucking eggs deleted since we're pretty much all
> in agreement]

Agreed.. :)

> > However, unless some sorting takes place, the files may end up
> > being processed out of order.  This may not be a likely problem,
> > but it is a sufficiently possible one to need taking into account.
>
> Yes.  I imagine the "safest" way (without writing a utility to
> do this) would be to use FOR to expand the command line
> argument (e.g., %1.??).  Then, for each file, use FIND (OhMiGod)
> to extract the pertinent line from a master CHECKSUMS file into
> a temp file.  Use CKSUM.EXE to compute a checksum into yet another
> temporary file and finally COMP to verify they agree.

Ouch, I can see it now, Runnaway batch file eats system, Law suit
to follow!
for and find don't do wonders for each other, Yes, It can be done.
Saftly ??? I don't do it! I've had em run away on me!
I picked up a batch file called sweep from PCmagazine a few years
back.. It ate my drive because I had a SET DIR ... ... enviorment
variable that confused it.

> Sheesh!  Sounds like it would be easier to just write it all
> from scratch (bummer!) -- and people have the NERVE to call
> DOS an O.S.!

Oh, It's an OS, Just not an Advanced OS.. (To say the least :)
It does operate systems. (Well kinda :)

> > I actually had to do a DOS cksum-like clone, years ago, and for
> > compatibility it was necessary to sort the file args during the
> > globbing.  Unfortunately this is something ports from UNIX frequently
> > don't take into account.
>
> The cksum.c in FBSD pretty much compiles out of the box -- have to
> drag in getopt() though...  I'd like to stick to using cksum as is
> simply because of all of the grief over the different versions of
> cksum over the years.  It seems like it would also be a good
> general purpose utility to have in DOSland for those folks that
> want to manually do a checksum and verify *by hand* against some
> published cksums.

I don't doub't that.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848