Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:48:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      dima@unixfreak.org (Dima Dorfman)
To:        timcm@umich.edu (Tim McMillen)
Cc:        dtalk@prairienet.org (David Talkington), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: free b.s.d. and networks

Tim McMillen wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, David Talkington wrote:
> > George Reid wrote:
> must do on several operating systems.
> > >
> > >Try reading the website - www.freebsd.org
> >
> > [treading lightly] Ok, not to contest your point, but ... it occurs to
> > me, having seen several innocent inquisitors bitten this way, that
> > many people may assume that "questions@freebsd.org" leads to a
> > vendor's help desk.  Given that assumption, and not knowing anything
> > about FreeBSD, or about open source software and the nature of its
> > community, let alone the fact that email to that address was being
> > broadcast to that community, an unsuspecting newcomer might come away
>
> 	Yes I agree.  I find it really strange that the freebsd-questions
> address is listed all over the website with most places not even mentioning
> that it is a public mailing list.  I used to get frustrated that people
> would send SO many subscribe messages and such to Freebsd-questions, but
> what can be expected if there is no mention of etiquette or method of
> subscribing in 95% of the times the freebsd-questions list is mentioned?
> It doesn't even mention how to subscribe at
> http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#mailing-list

AFAIK, support.html lists the methods of getting support and where to
get more information about them.  If you'll notice, the first two
words under the "mailing lists" subheading are a link to another page.
This page does talk about etiquette, reading the charters, how to
[un]subscribe, and the fact that it's a public list.

> In fact, most of the places it is mentioned it says email any questions to
> freebsd-questions.   The way it is stated in many places seems like it is
> the project's question list, not a public mailing list that everybody
> gets.  If you hadn't noticed this check back through the webpages and
> you'll see it.

I guess you're referring to the footer on most of the pages:

:        For questions about FreeBSD, e-mail <questions@FreeBSD.org>.
:     For questions about this documentation, e-mail <doc@FreeBSD.org>.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to be a little more verbose here, but
appending the equivilent of the mailing list section in the handbook
(which seems to be what you're advocating) would be a little too much.

Regards

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for PGP public key.