Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:06:29 +0000
From:      David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Death to toor

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 04:55:52PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Saturday 11 June 2005 10:54 pm, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 04:40:19PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> > > Is there any good reason to keep the toor account around nowadays?
> >
> > Yes.  Some of us use it.
>
> Well, that's why I asked.
>
> > > vipw has existed since 4.0BSD and chsh and friends have existed since
> > > 4.3BSD-Reno so I think that it's safe to say that folks are more than
> > > capable nowadays of changing root's default shell if desired.
> >
> > I wouldn't say we are totally safe changing root's default shell away
> > from /bin/csh.  We still see people give the advice that one should not
> > change root's default shell.
>
> I never mentioned that FreeBSD would change root's default shell.  All I said
> is that people have had tools available to them to easily change root's shell
> on their boxes since at least the early 1990s if they don't want to
> use /bin/csh on a particular box.  Stop putting words in my mouth please.

Please, stop putting words in my mouth.  You said toor wasn't needed
because people can change the root shell.  No where did I say the FreeBSD
stock default shell should be changed.  I'm saying there are reasons one
wants to keep the root shell identical to that what comes from the
vendor.

--
-- David    (obrien@FreeBSD.org)