Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 1996 20:30:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Robert Du Gaue <rdugaue@calweb.com>
To:        Craig Shrimpton <craigs@venus.os.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about Virtual domains (ifconfig alias)

> I can setup ifconfig aliases with:
>
> ifconfig de0 alias xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> and they seem to work fine with two exceptions. First, if I ping the
> alias domain from the host machine I get dup pings and secondly I can't
> traceroute to the domain from anywhere on the net.  Is this normal
> behaviour or do I need some additiona configuration?  Apache seems
> to work fine but the dup pings and the inability to traceroute seems
> a little "rough" at the edges.

Hmmm. Doesn't act like that for us, we;re using Apache and doing pretty
much the same thing. Have about 100 spoofed domains. We have an inhouse
script to mass assign a block of spoofed domains, basically it executes
the commands like this:

/sbin/ifconfig de0 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx alias yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy (x = host,
y = netmask)

And then :

/sbin/route add -host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx localhost

Works fine for us!