Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:59:45 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [4.5] Upgrading to XFree-4.2 grrrrr

Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> Hello Family,
>
> Just installed the FreeBSD-4.5 (from Walnut_Creek) and upgraded
> my ports to enable me to upgrade to XFree-4.2, I get continual
> build errors and wonder if there is a "sequence" of files to
> build to get through it.
>
> This is all based on 3.3.6's inability to deal with the
> Intel Corporation 82810E CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev
> 03)

There are some people a while back deleted all of the ports that use
XFree86. A pkg_delete -r "XFree*" will do that. You also have to
delete imake. The version of imake is part of the XFree86 port. Then,
they removed /usr/X11R6/*.

I installed "imake-4.2" and then started installing the metaport
XFree86-4.2.0_1,1. This compiled with out errors; however, I didn't do
the "rm -rf /usr/X11R6/*" and would have configure errors building
kde-3 packages. I was on an AMD-1600+ XP and the learning process
wasn't that slow. It just took a few tries :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA