Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 00:42:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        David Raistrick <keen@damoe.wireless-isp.net>
Cc:        Matt Rudderham <matt@researcher.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Loren Koss <loren@pciway.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: I deleted my shell by mistake!!

My experience goes back to slackware--there most of the really important
things for root are part shell script, and the shell they call is
bash.  The Linux Kernel configuration is almost all bash scripts, and if
you change shells, you get problems (you get even more when you mv the
shells around to compensate, but I was new...).  THAT'S the reason not to
change shells: shell choice is more hardwired that you think at first
glance.  Prior in this thread, someone mentioned bash as the FreeBSD
shell-of-choice.  That's wrong, the FreeBSD shell-of-choice is csh.  Of
course, my Slack experience of 5 yrs ago will probably not be repeated in
the Linux/*BSDs of the present day, but you can never be too safe...

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, David Raistrick wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Matt Rudderham wrote:
>
> > >don't don't change root's shell!
>
> > Why should the root shell not be changed? I am also kind of new I guess. I
>

> The theory that I have always heard about changing the root shell is not
> to change it to something that is not based in / .
>
> The reasoning behind this is that if you lose your /usr (or
> whatever) slice, you still have access to your root account.  Of course,
> I've never had a problem with this (mind you, I never managed to delete
> the shell I was using whilst in multiuser mode...)since when you boot
> single user, it /asks/ you what shell to use, and doesnt give a rats ass
> what is in the master.passwd file.....
>

> This is the only theory I've heard as to not changing your shell to a
> shell not based off of /...(mind you, if you go deleting /bin/sh or
> something, you're pretty much hosed all around..though i guess that does
> leave you /bin/csh to use in single user to get things working after a
> damn good bit of work...)
>

> Anyway, I'd love to hear a sound reason why to never change your root
> shell at all.. (I've never heard of that before, either...)
>
> And any more theories about not changing it to something off of /, if you
> have them.;)
>
> ....david (100% tcsh since '89)
>
> --
> David Raistrick		Digital Wireless Communications
> davidr@dwcinet.com

 Customer:  "I'm running Windows '98"      Tech: "Yes."      Customer:
   "My computer isn't working now."     Tech: "Yes, you said that."