Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:34:19 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Alan Batie <alan@batie.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk13 brings in most of linux

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 02:50:34PM -0800, Alan Batie wrote:
> Does the jdk13 installation really have to install all of redhat with it?
> I know that's overstating it, but having used rpm on Red Hat to do a minor
> upgrade of a single utility and having it practically reinstall the whole
> system, this makes me awfully nervous...

It doesn't install the *whole* of Redhat, just a major portion :-).

After you've installed the native JDK, you can deinstall the Linux
stuff. It's only required for the build. Furthermore, you can use your
native 1.3 to bootstrap rebuilds of JDK 1.3; so you really only need
to do this once.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>