Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:55:05 +0200
From:      Julian Stecklina <der_julian@web.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making FreeBSD More Lean/Efficient On Older Laptop...

Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> writes:

> On 07/25/06 13:06, Richard Arends wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 01:59:28PM -0400, DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI wrote:
>> Daniel,
>>
>>> I have FreeBSD 6.1 running on an IBM ThinkPad 600e, 64 MB RAM, PII 366
>>> MHZ. I have Gnome installed, and would like to "trim the fat" to get it
>>> to run as fast and efficiently as possible.
>> Drop Gnome!
>>

> I was just thinking the same thing!
>
> There's a lot of other window manglers out there that are more
> efficient than gnome.

XFCE tries to be light-weight, yet full-featured. If a desktop manager
is not needed, I would recommend a blackbox-like WM or WindowMaker. I
also like wmii, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

C has all the expressive power of two dixie cups and a string.
(Jamie Zawinski)