Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:45:42 +0100
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+celsius@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   keeping the Promise up

Hi!

With the day-old -current I have troubles with the Promise-66 IDE add-on
card.

I have two identical drives connected to it. The one connected to the
"IDE1" connector is now constantly reported as:

        ad4: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
        ata2: resetting devices ..
        done

This happens with UDMA66 and DMA33. The only way to access the drive
reliably is to turn it down into the PIO4 mode, which effectively limits
it to 2.5Mb/sec and increases the irq-processing time 10-15 fold.

I tried changing the cable -- no effect. This is not the drive either
-- when I swapped the two drives (what was connected to IDE1 is now
connected to IDE2), the messages did not change -- it was still the
ata2 (aka Promise's IDE1 -- ata0 and ata1 being the unused on-board
controllers).

The previous kernel -- a week or so old worked fine...

        -mi