Date:      Sat, 6 May 2000 05:29:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: category for xdrawchem

On 6 May 2000, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

>  * Yeah, Satoshi needs to finally create that "scientific" category so we can
>  * e.g. move all the chemistry ports out of biology :-)
>  *
>  * This has been discussed and agreed as a good idea at least twice in the
>  * past, but nothing ever came of it.
>
> Did we? ;)
>
> That wasn't what I thought.  People were divided among chemistry and
> biology (which has a lot of overlap) and I thought scientific is too
> broad (astro and math are definitely science, and there's something
> called "computer science" too!).

I believe there was broad consensus to at least move the chemistry ports
out of biology. Whether these go into a catch-all general "scientific"
category which covers chemistry/physics/geology/anything else which shows
up, or we create individual chemistry/physics/geology/etc categories, is
another issue, I guess, although I think there DOES need to be an
"everything else" scientific category, because otherwise at some point
we'll have to again categorise a port inappropriately when it doesn't fit
into one of the existing disciplinary areas (which is currently the case
for the chemistry ports wrongly categorised as "biology").

Should a "scientific" category be created, as I think it must, it would be
defined as only being appropriate for ports which don't have a more
specific category. In other words, even though lang ports are part of
computer science are part of science, they match the lang category first
and go there.

Kris

----