Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:55:39 +1000
From:      Carey Nairn <Carey.Nairn@ccd.tas.gov.au>
To:        "Stan Brown" <stanb@netcom.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.com (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Re: What is the difference between the gimp and the gimp-devel port?

The gimp port is for gimp-0.54.1 which requires motif to compile.
The gimp-devel port is for gimp-0.99.x.  This is a pre-release for version
1.0 of the gimp which is *significantly* different from 0.54.1.  The
development port does not require motif and at present is at gimp-0.99.10.
This pretty much compiles out of the box from the original tarball.

If you want more info on the differences between the two versions, you
should have a look at http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~gimp/

cheers,
Carey Nairn

At 12:16 20/07/97 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:
>	In looking in the ports-2.2.2 direcotry I find both a gimp and a
>	gimp-devel port. This confuses mee. Could someone explain the
>	difference ?
>
>--
>Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com
404-996-6955