Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:25:41 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
To:        Lorenzo Cogotti <miciamail@hotmail.it>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Providing a default graphical environment on FreeBSD

On 09/17/12 11:14, Lorenzo Cogotti wrote:
> Il 17/09/2012 17:42, Poul-Henning Kamp ha scritto:
>> In message <BLU0-SMTP510B16745B704C714268E2D5950@phx.gbl>, Lorenzo Cogotti writ
>> es:
>>> Hi,
>>> I was wondering about the possibility of FreeBSD to provide an official
>>> supported graphical environment.
>> We already do:  It's called "X11" :-)
>>

> (sending back to mailing list due to a mistake replying personally, I
> apologize)
>
> That's surely more of a standard than Linux can provide, considering
> Wayland :-)
>
> I meant something more abstract that could provide a default desktop
> feel and the possibility of writing more complex GUI interfaces in less
> time, so that, for example, I could create a GUI tool while being
> consistent with the rest of the environment.
> Right now this can't be achieved (in an easy way) without taking into
> account Qt, GTK+, X and an enormous number of other toolkits available.
>
>> In message <BLU0-SMTP86E4BBD140D6911F5297B1D5950@phx.gbl>, Lorenzo Cogotti writ
>> es:
>>
>>> Right now this can't be achieved (in an easy way) without taking into
>>> account Qt, GTK+, X and an enormous number of other toolkits available.
>> Do what everybody else does:  Pick the toolkit you prefer to work in
>> and move on...
>
> This idea would precisely serve the purpose of removing this need and
> eliminate redundancy of toolkits, when it comes to essential utilities
> that FreeBSD would want to provide, like devices automounting,
> partitioning (taking advantage of the system features) and so on... but
> it's just an idea, of course.

I think most FreeBSD developers don't care to do this.

If you want this to happen, you should create your own product.  Call it
Cogotti-BSD-Grafix, or whatever you like.  Then you take the code base
of FreeBSD, and work very hard to create a stable graphics environment,
package it, and put up your own website advocating it.

If you pick software with the right licenses, you could even sell your
product.

Or if you don't want to do this, find someone else who will.  For all I
know, maybe someone has already done this.