Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:54:27 +0200
From:      Eduardo <emorras@xroff.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        bf1783@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, GPGPU and OpenCL/CUDA

Hi b. f.

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:24:16 +0000
"b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com> wrote:

>=20
> > MPI is typically dependent on the network not OpenMP.  OpenMP 3.0
> > can be made more scalable if there's tasks built-into the kernel
>=20
> http://www.bsdcan.org/2010/schedule/events/169.en.html
>=20
> , and I'm sure they would be willing to discuss improvements.

Reading documentation, thanks b. f. I'm already on freebsd-hackers
list. Is that the correct list for this topic?

>=20
> >> 2) HPC ready compiler.. (Sorry guys, but LLVM is just
> >> not production ready for this task and is missing Fortran)
> >
>=20
> Not ready now, perhaps -- but development there is fairly rapid, and
> the switch to llvm, if there is to be one, is still some time off.
> However, later versions of gcc are in ports, there are some
> discussions regarding the revival of the icc port, and there is work
> underway to allow users to more easily use alternative compilers and
> toolchains for the base system as well as for ports:
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2010-01-2010-03.html#Out-of-Tre=
e-Toolchain

Not only compilers for Fortran or other languages but for new
architetures, Cluster of SMP CPUs with GPU attached.=20

>=20
> >
> >> 3) IB network drivers
> >
> >Don't know the status of Infiniband drivers, are there drivers?
>=20
> There is a port of of the Open Fabrics Enterprise Distribution
> underway:
>=20
> http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/projects/ofed/
>=20
> And there is:
>=20
> http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/sys/contrib/rdma/

Oks, i didn't know that. Please note that i made that question, not "C.
Bergstr=F6m" from <cbergstrom@pathscale.com>

>=20
> >> 4) Hardware vendor to deliver a complete solution + support
> >> (iXsystems?)
>=20
> Well, that's not up to us. All we can do is port more software and
> encourage people to use it.  And "we" includes "you".

I want to be on that ship, and think that more than only porting
software is needed, live-examples of use, modify the kernel to allow
nvidia/ati (even intel) develop drivers and of course, marketing and
bechmarking (aren't them the samething?)

For now i'm going to port my hpc app to FreeBSD.

>=20
> b.

Thanks