Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2011 02:31:24 -0800
From:      milki <milki@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
To:        Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MASTER_SITES/MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR for perl ports

--RIYY1s2vRbPFwWeW

On 11:14 Thu 10 Feb     , Anton Berezin wrote:
> > Wouldn't an option be to actually dynamically generation the SUBDIR    =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                                  =20
> > based on cpan's 02package.details.txt then?
>=20
> Could you clarify what you mean by that?
>=20
> During the port creation/update by a maintainer?  Nothing prevents the
> maintainer to use whatever tools to make this happen.

It seems some authors are already doing this. It's just the current
default MASTER_SITES use the /modules/by_module synatx so the SUBDIR must
recures up the tree before going into /authors/id or /by-authors and
that portlint will complain.

If CPAN defaults to the author url, I think it would be more
reliable to default to the same urls.

>=20
> During the actual port installation?  I think that would be a bad
> idea.

I was originally thinking of this method, but it does seem pretty
cumbersome: find a mirror/retreat and extract 02package.details.txt and
parse out author path. However, the file only contains the path for the
latest version so it would not be compatible at all.

--=20
milki
milki@rescomp.berkeley.edu
RSSP-IT programmers