Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:28:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      <joeo@cracktown.com>
To:        <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OpenGL

Yeah, I'm impressed with the nvidia cards too, when they work, under
linux.  But remember the GeForce2MX is a couple of generations ahead of a
G400/G450, Rage 128, voodoo4/5 or for that matter a first generation ATI
radeon (at least the functionality that the DRI exposes).  Additionally
Nvidia _pays_ smart, focused coders to write optimized code, make their
drivers OpenGL version x compliant, fix multi-texturing bugs, fix lighting
bugs, fix blending bugs, fix fogging bugs, fix alpha channel bugs, work
around application bugs...

On the other hand I hear a lot of cussing during Friday evening fragfests
when lockups occurs in the cubes next to mine.  Especially after either a
new linux kernel is released and/or a new set of nvidia drivers is
released...  That's not to imply my setup is lockup free itself, and the
former observation is probably more a reflection of the upgrade mindset
the surrounding users have...