Date:      Mon, 12 May 2014 11:50:54 +0200
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ordering for network-sensitive rc scripts

--Sig_/5qPHckvayJ7zc3xuwpmhTqO

David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 11 May 2014, at 20:23, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> > On 11 May 2014 12:01, David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> On 17 Apr 2014, at 09:30, Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> I tried doing this, but it turns out that wlan devices don't appear to=
 send devd LINK_UP / LINK_DOWN events.  It would be nice to have a clean so=
lution to this.  By default, using the stock rc scripts, my router is curre=
ntly not able to forward packets from the WiFi until I've logged into it an=
d manually run 'service pf restart', which is a bit crazy.  I've hacked aro=
und it by having a script run from rc.local that sleeps for 60 seconds and =
then restarts a few things, but that's really, really ugly.
> >>=20
> >> On closer inspection, pf doesn't fail silently, it complains about a s=
yntax error in my config file because wlan0 is not a known interface.
> >>=20
> >> We therefore have an rc ordering problem if you want to use pf and WiF=
i at the same time.  This problem was introduced some time between 9.2 and =
10.0.
> >=20
> > Is there a PR for this? It's the first I've heard of it.
>=20
> Not yet.  This is the result of my investigations as of 10 minutes ago.  =
I'll file a PR, if no one can tell me I'm doing something obviously wrong...

I'm not saying that you did something wrong or shouldn't file a PR,
but on my laptop (11-CURRENT) pf works as expected without service
restarts.

The relevant configuration excerpt:

ext_if  =3D "wlan0"
int_if  =3D "bge0"
jail_if =3D "lo1"
[...]
nat pass on $ext_if from  $int_if:network to any -> $ext_if
nat on $ext_if from $jail_if:network to any -> $ext_if

wlan0 is a wlandev on iwn0.

I'm usually using static IP addresses, but it worked with dynamic
IP addresses (and ext_if and int_if reversed) in the past.

Fabian