Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:14:17 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        "P. van Leeuwen" <pvl@nanoteq.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GCC

> However, I strongly suggest using EGCS (http://egcs.cygnus.com/), a more
> advanced version of GCC which has vastly improved support for C++ (notably
> templates), improved code generation and is at least as stable as GCC 2.8.1.
>
> BTW, are there any plans of making EGCS the default compiler for FreeBSD?

As the maintainer for both the GCC 2.8 and EGCS ports, I'd *STRONGLY*
recomend *NOT* making EGCS the stock compiler.  It is a way fast moving
target.  Much of the time the snapshots won't compile under FreeBSD.
None of the most active developers use FreeBSD, so things are tested very
well for our boxes.

In production shops, I've seen a lot more places go to gcc 2.8.1 than
EGCS, so I feel gcc/g++ is better tested and stable.  (yes, even if
missing some features).  At this state of the game, the EGCS team seems
to be much more concerned about active development than producing a
stable version.  The last "release" is 1.0.2, but there was much
development done from the time 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 that didn't get into
1.0.2.  (they run two branches like we do one for stable releases and
current development)

G++ 2.8.1 has greatly improved templates and STL support.  The examples
from "The C++ Programming Language, 3rd ed." now compile and run.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.ucdavis.edu  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)