Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 01:26:55 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp "Not"

[.....]
> When I Start ppp This is What I See
> pppON Circle> term
> Working in interactive mode
> Entering terminal mode
> Type ~? for help
> []                     <----- I get no response from ~? or AT nothing happens
> so ive tried +++(enter) ATE1(enter) simultaneously and still no OK!
> response I just cant get my Modem to echo back to me.Could it be that
> I have a mis-configured modem and if so how do i configure it.And
> also ive been told i might have some setup problems with my modem
> if it looks like it from the info- ive put here .How can i remedy this?

What does ``dmesg | fgrep sio'' show up ?

On my gateway machine, I get:
$ dmesg | fgrep sio
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
sio2 at 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa
sio2: type 16550A
sio3 at 0x2e8-0x2ef irq 9 on isa
sio3: type 16550A

This tells me that I have four com ports - /dev/cuaa0 ... /dev/cuaa3.
Does your kernel recognise your com ports ?

If only the first (sio0) is probed successfully, you'll need to
``set device /dev/cuaa0'' in your ppp.conf file.
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;