Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 00:20:42 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'll be rolling a 4.1.1 release on September 25th

At 6:19 PM -0700 9/16/00, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Peter Radcliffe wrote:
>
> > Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org> probably said:
> > >
> > > Poeple often pop up right before a release is due to be rolled,
> > > and ask for some patch to "make it into the release" - often it
> > > doesn't, and they go away until the next release is announced.
> > > This isn't how the FreeBSD development model works, and you're
> > > targetting the wrong group at the wrong time.

Let me note that there are two discussions going on in this thread,
right in the above paragraphs.  Peter is asking about a specific
set of updates.  Kris is (at least partially) responding to a general
topic.  "Speaking to the audience", instead of the individual who
brought up a question.

(I have done this in the past myself, in comp.sys.next newsgroups,
and generated much confusion in the process...)

> > Sorry for being short, but I'm on my way out.
> >
> >  1) they're not my patches, but they're useful to me.
> >  2) I didn't specificly ask for them to make it into this
> >       release, I said "before or after".
> >  3) I've asked before and go no response.
> >  4) I can't commit things to -current.
>
>My point was that you need to either ask one of the committers
>directly, or ask in a forum where the committerss hang out. That's
>not -stable - there are only a few of us here, so asking here is
>almost akin to asking in a vacuum.

Again, Peter is making it even more explicit that he is wondering
about a specific set of patches.  From various comments in this
thread, it seems these patches have been brought up in several
contexts over many months.

I think Kris needs to say "I don't know about this specific
set of updates", lest more confusion result.

> >  5) I know how the system works, but it requires someone to
> >     commit the patches and no one will.
>
>Works for you..they have to go through -current first in case
>they break for someone else.

Assume he meant "I know how the freebsd development model is
supposed to work, but what is a person to do if they do not
have commit access and can not seem to get anyone's attention?"

An explicit list of steps would be nice.  "Send a message here.
Wait one month.  No reaction?   Send a message to this other
place".  For the *specific* question, Peter seems pretty flexible
about getting the updates in "before or after" the release, so
ignore the deadline of 4.1.1 or even 4.2.  Just list the steps
in the "Freebsd development model".

> > My question still stands, can these patches get in, somewhere ?
>
>You're still talking to the wrong list.

And this still did not provide an answer, not to the specific
question, nor for the "speech to the audience".  Where do we
find these mythical committers who have time?  Here we all are,
debating this topic on a saturday night.  My guess is that we are
all available right now because we're busy working on something
that we didn't have time to finish during the normal work week.

I still stay it boils down to a simple matter of too much work
for too few people.

That may be frustrating, but it is not as infuriating as implying
that there is some magical "freebsd development model" which would
always get patches-in-PR's incorporated if people would "just
follow the steps".  That only makes things worse for people who
see their PR's sit around, because it seems like they must be
getting deliberately snubbed, instead of just being too far
down the list to look at.

I think that's probably enough for me to say, at least for the
weekend.  I don't suppose anyone knows why my bpf devices aren't
working for me, even though I *know* I had used them fine under
freebsd at one point?

Sigh.  saturday nights....

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu