Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 08:23:38 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bug in pkg_install with large packages

> Any more ideas?  I downloaded /usr-sbin/pkg_install from the stable tree
> along with the Makefile and Makefile.inc that you suggested.  "Make all
> install" appeared to succeed.  Rebooted, tried again to install xemacs, ran
> into same problem with "file dosen't really exist" messages and no files
> installed.

How did you get the -stable tree, if I may ask?  Via CVSup?  If it was
via FTP, then you will actually have to wait another 20 hours or so
since I *just* fixed that problem in 2.1-stable (I'd already fixed it
in -current and 2.2 when your message reminded me that I needed to put
it in 2.1 as well) and the update scripts are only run once a day (at
3am or so).

Actually, now that I think about it, the fix is simple enough that I
can just describe here so that you can make the change by hand if
necessary. :-)

Go into pkg_install/add and edit extract.c, going to line 56.

If you see this:

maxargs = sysconf(_SC_ARG_MAX);
maxargs -= 64;

Then change it to this:

maxargs = sysconf(_SC_ARG_MAX) / 2;

(and delete the line where maxargs is further decremented).

Thanks!

						Jordan