Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 15:11:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   vi question

Every once in a while I inadvertently use the command :a in vi, and
the keyboard gets rewritten--I end up in insert mode and the arrow
keys no longer work (instead producing [ characters).  The escape
key no longer words to get back to command mode.

If I'm logged in by dial-up I just hang up when this happens;
otherwise I can use another virtual terminal and try to kill the
process, but this simply converts all the arrow keys and all the
F keys as well as escape to a backspace.  Ctrl-D produces a
command prompt but nothing can be done with it.

There must be something about this I don't know....what do I do
to get out of this situation?

Thanks

Annelise