Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 08:04:26 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GEOM ioctl issue.

> The way we have implemented copyin(9) and copyout(9) depends strongly
> on the fact that they are executed in the corresponding thread, it is
> not possible to access userland for one thread with copyin/out from
> another thread, userland or kernel.

Well, if you look at the AIO code, it is possible, it is just a pain
in the but.  It would be really nice to formalize the correct strategy
(is what AIO does correct?) for doing this into copyin_thread(),
copyout_thread(), etc. since this is the real cause of your problem.

Not that I disagree with your cleanup of the da driver.  I like that
for aesthetic reasons.  I just think that it is unacceptable to say
that you cannot have an ioctl handler in a geom class device when all
that is stopping you is some vmspace manipulation.

--
Justin