Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 19:35:54 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory management fault during netbooting on 4.6-PRERELEASE

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 07:16:33PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> writes:
> > An alpha needs to access memory in naturally aligned chunks.  If a
> > load or store is done to a misaligned address (a 32-bit load from an
> > address starting on a 16 bit boundary, for example).
>
> I know about that, I was just surprised to see unaligned accesses in
> the base system.

There are many potential of them waiting for a small change elsewhere.
One PR (alpha/34232) is open containing a fix for one of them, which
might be the same you are seeing.
I just did not found the time yet to check if the fix might leak
some kernel internal data in the padding.
Maybe we should just fill the padding with zeros.
Can you please check if that's the same reason for your misaligned
access?

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de