Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 12:07:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mustek Paragon 600 II SP supported?

Christoph Kukulies writes:

> I just bought a Mustek Paragon 600 II SP scanner hoping it being
> supported by FreeBSD. It comes with a tiny SCSI ISA controller board
> with a SymBIOS Logic 53C400A chip on it.
>
> Any chance getting it to work with that controller?

I don't know.  The scanner I had didn't come with a controller, though
it was documented.  My brother-in-law lent me one to try out, and I
connected it directly to my SCSI controller.

As to the scanner: I connected it via a standard SCSI controller
(probably Adaptec 154x, but I've forgotten).  The software I found was
less than perfect, but I was able to get acceptable black-and-white
images.  Colour images came out too light and too green.  I'm sure
that it's relatively trivial to fix it, but I just haven't had the
time.  The other problems I have with this scanner are:

- It is *sloooooooow*.  A full-colour scan took about 10 minutes.  To
  be fair, I'm not sure I'm talking about exactly the same model that
  you mention.  It was a Mustek Paragon, but I can't remember the "II
  SP".  Possibly this indicates a model 2 with single pass, in which
  case they would have addressed the worst problem.

- It doesn't drop the SCSI bus during the scan.  Considering the time
  it takes, and that it has to write data to disk, this means you
  can't use it with a SCSI disk on the same host adaptor.  I had an
  IDE disk on the machine I tried it with.

I decided against buying the scanner, mainly because of the speed and
the work that still needed to be done.  I have some modified software
here if you want it.

Greg