Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 06:08:55 -0700
From:      Ryan Krause <ryank@coho.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   modem stops on 'setting modem volume'

I am trying to get FreeBSD 4.0 on a X86 class machine to dial into my
ISP.  Since it keeps things simple, I usually just use KPPP under Linux
and decided to do the same under FreeBSD.  I set KPPP up the same way as
I did in Linux and then proceeded to dial.  After it gets done
initializing the modem, the message 'setting modem volume' comes up in
the status box.  This is as far as the dialing process gets.

I checked the modem volume AT settings and they are correct for my
modem.  My modem is a Actiontech 56K ISA PNP card that has PNP disabled
and is manually jumpered for com 3 IRQ 4.

I then read the FreeBSD handbook section on ppp.  I realized that there
were no tunnel devices in the device directory.  I then recompiled my
kernel adding one tunnel device in following the directions in the ppp
section.  I rebooted, checked to see if the tun0 was in the /dev
directory, yes, however when I type ifconfig -a it still does not list
any tunnel devices like the handbook's screen shots.  I then tried KPPP
again, same problem, once again 'setting modem volume'.

Thanks.

Ryan