Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 18:22:45 +0200
From:      AB <aernoudt@wanadoo.nl>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WINE problem

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Sun, 28 May 2000, AB wrote:
> > Running FreeBSD 4.0 stable (27 may last build (eg today), on SMP box.
> > When trying to use WINE (for example installing encarta) I get this
> > error message:
>
> I'm sorry that I can provide a more detailed reply, but you did not
> specify which version of Wine you are using, nor how you built/installed
> it (ports, Wine snapshot, package).

Wine release 991114, installed from the ports collection on the 27th of
may.

> For example, Wine does not build on -STABLE since earlier last week due
> to a problematic change to the ncurses library back then.

I do use a -STABLE build... (kernel build yesterday, the system about 1
week ago)
Could a new builworld solve the problem ?

> > "unable to start DDE communication with Program Manager"
>
> Can you test the same with a UP kernel or a Linux box? First of all we

Not at the moment (I don't have a Linux machine at the moment, ususally
I have some machine running Linux for reference or just to play around)

> should try to find whether this is
>  1. a Wine specific problem;
>  2. a FreeBSD specific problem; or
>  3. a FreeBSD SMP specific problem
>
> Currently the Wine port is undergoing major updates (It hadn't been
> updated for about half a year) and there are some problems, but I hope
> to have everything in a stable state by the end of the week, or so.
>
> My feeling, however, indicates that the problem you are experiencing
> might fall in category 1 above, in which case I suggest you contact
> the Wine authors directly (http://www.winehq.com/).

I thi8nk this site is dead, can not connect to it for days in a row...
Network time out reported as error message.

Aernoudt

 Aernoudt  Bottemanne		* Powered  by  FreeBSD *
 http://www.freebsd.org
 http://www.openbsd.org
 http://www.nlfug.nl