Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:16:37 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        markm@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.2-R: problem with inetd and NIS

Greetings,

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature.  It doesn't seem to
be in the release notes so perhaps that makes it a bug.  :-)

I am putting an entry in inetd.conf with a non-root user field.
This user is defined in NIS rather than in /etc/master.passwd.
On 3.0-R and 3.1-R this works.  On 3.2-R when I HUP inetd I get:
"No such user 'user', service ignored".  Putting a non-NIS entry
into master.passwd for this user does get inetd to start the
service.

There is one interest of note in the 3.2-R release notes:

"TCP Wrappers is now part of the base system.  inetd, the port
mapper, and sendmail are now linked against libwrap."

From what I've been able to find so far, which isn't much, this seems
to be more concerned with allowing greater access controls on who
can connect to the services, rather than on how they are started.

-Mitch