Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:14:40 -0500
From:      RJ White <rj@moxad.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Subject:   Re: suspend using APM on a Sony PCG-F350 with FreeBSD 6.1

To add some more data to my problem after trying Ian Smith's suggestions :

Yes, I have :
	apm_enable="YES"
	apmd_enable="YES"
set in /etc/rc.conf.
During boot, I see :
	Starting apmd.
There are no errors in /var/log/messages, only :
	Dec 10 16:46:36 laptop2 kernel: apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
	Dec 10 16:46:36 laptop2 kernel: apm0: found APM BIOS v1.2,
		connected at v1.2
	Dec 10 16:46:45 laptop2 apmd[471]: start

I tried  :
	hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1
in /etc/sysctl.conf.  It's seen during boot and reports :
	hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch: 0 -> 1

and trying suspend (zzz) from a normal vty (not in X), caused no response.
When I tried to switch vty's, my cursor disappeared.  Eventually trying
another vty switch caused the constant beep and I had to power-cycle.

I then tried it from X, and whether I uncommented the usb entries
in /etc/{rc.resume,rc.suspend} or not, as Ian suggested, when I did
a zzz, nothing seemed to happen (although 2 out of 3 times, I
detected a flicker (1/10 sec) of a 1-pixel horizontal line across
my screen), and my mouse went dead.  It is a NON-usb mouse.
My shell was still ok.  ie: a 'echo hi' worked.
But as soon as I tried something that required a disk-access, like running
my 'fix-moused' script, or 'who', then it hung.  Trying to switch
to another vty caused the constant beep and then I power-cycle again.

Once when my xterm was still active with dead mouse and I was typing,
a lower frequency constant beep (I'll call it a boop) happened, until
I tried a vty switch, when the constant boop got replaced with a higher
frequency constant beep.

thanx for any and all help!

cheers,
	-rj