Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 01:22:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Benchmarking CVSup

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Jens Haeusser wrote:

> Do any of you have any fancy tricks/shell scripts/whatnot for
> benchmarking the various CVSup sites? My simple ping and ftp tests
> don't seem to reflect the actual speed of a CVSup session on that
> host.

    Try traceroute(8) instead, and pick the one that's the fewest hops

Here's a little script to work through them all.  With a modicum of
effort, it could be made to just print the hopcounts, but I wasn't
that enthusiastic the night I wrote it.

#!/bin/sh

for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
do
    echo " "
    echo "==== trying cvsup${i}.freebsd.org ======"
    echo "traceroute cvsup${i}.freebsd.org"
    traceroute cvsup${i}.freebsd.org
    echo " "
done 2>&1 | tee mirrors.out

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)