Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:38:16 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Do we still need ATA disk CHS addressing?

"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com> writes:
> Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > Have anybody seen ATA drive without LBA support in last years?
> Yes

Have you really, or did you just assume that "old" means "no LBA"?

> I run 20+ assorted hosts from 4.11 to 7.2 Uni & Dual proc, i386 (real 386=
!)
> to 686 & amd64 so I guess I'm=20
>   A) Pretty vulnerable to legacy scare.
>   B) A litmus tesst for a wider community of others, some  with older kit=
,=20
>      not on lists or with bleeding edge latest hardware, but will=20
>      get hit when stuff eg HCS gets declared legacy=3Ddumped.

Do you seriously intend to run FreeBSD 9 on kit that is too old to
support LBA?  We're talking early nineties here.  CHS doesn't scale past
504 MB, so any ATA disk larger than that must peforce support LBA.  I
bought my first 1 GB drive (Connor CFP1080) in 1995.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no