Date:      Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:48:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        goodredhat@yahoo.com (manish jain)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Low volume

> Hi,
>
> I am using FreeBSD 5.4 with an Intel 810 chipset which has an onboard
> soundcard. While everything else works fine, the sound volume is
> inexplicably low. I have set snd_ich_load to "YES" in loader.conf, which
> is probably all I am required to do. Even when I use Volume Control to
> set the PCM to maximum volume (with the 800 W speakers too set to maximum
> volume), sound is barely audible in multimedia applications like xmms
> and xine. What could possibly be wrong ?

Well, are they really 800 watt just speakers or are they powered speakers?

If they are just speakers, then your soundcard will not put out enough
to power them.   If those speakers can actually absorb 800 watt, it will
take some bigger current to drive them.   You need to run the signal through
an amplifier.

Now, if they are powered speakers - meaning they have their own built in
amplifier, then check them out by running a line level feed from something
else to make sure they are on and OK.   Make sure it is a line out from
something and not the powered output of another amplifier - or even the
headphone out, though you could probably use that (headphone out) turned
way down if it is all you have available.

If the speakers are OK, then you are back to figuring out the sound card
and software.

////jerry