Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 23:34:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux, Solaris, and NT

On Sun, 24 Dec 2000, Wes Peters wrote:

> > To be pedantic, you only need to provide source for works derived
> > from GPL'd software which in this case means the kernel propper. User
> > land applications and device drivers may be shipped in binary-only
> > form because they are separate works, even when distributed in
> > aggregation with GPL'd software.
>
> That depends on the type of "aggregation".  If you produce a single-purpose
> device, like an "internet radio", the entire device has a single purpose,
> therefore every part of the device is "derived from" every other part.

  WTF are you talking about? Derived work is the result of modification of
the original, not just something dependent on its functionality.

>  That
> means, if you use GPL'ed software in such a device, you have to provide
> source for every line of code, and perhaps schematics or gerbers for the
> circuits and VHDL for your ASICs as well.

  This is simply not true -- unless your hardware is the result of
modification of GPL'ed program, something that I don't expect to see any
soon, as so far no hardware ever was GPL'ed in the first place.

> Doesn't that just make you want to run out and stuff Linux in your multi-
> million development dollar routing switch now?

  No, it just makes me wonder, what is the purpose of those ridiculous
claims.

--
Alex