Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:26:42 +0100
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@iedowse.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Ed Maste <emaste@phaedrus.sandvine.ca>
Subject:   Re: RELENG_6: serial console drops back from 115200 to 9600 baud

--------------enigABF0B2A94073A4A90424DE4E

Ian Dowse wrote:
>> Okay, but why did 4.x through 5.x through 6.x (these have all been on
>> this particular machine) always boot with 115200 until now? :)

> They probably used 9600 for the boot blocks, and then switched to
> 115200 when /boot/loader started, so you didn't notice. Now the
> settings from the boot blocks get used by /boot/loader.

Ah, but this still means that /boot/loader used to use a hardcoded
default specified in /etc/make.conf, and now it doesn't honor that anymor=
e.

There should at least be a notice in UPDATING, e.g. "don't forget to set
comconsole_speed in your loader.conf, or your serial console won't work
anymore after upgrading."  It would probably save some people a drive to
the colocation facility... ;)

> Boot blocks need to be installed manually - installworld installs
> the boot blocks as files in /boot/boot{1,2}, but when booting, it
> is the boot blocks in the first 8k of the slice that are used, not
> the /boot/boot{1,2} files.

Okay.  I still think it would be wiser to just reinstall them during
installworld, just to be sure there's no incompatibilities...