Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:09:26 -0700
From:      "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB issues with Apollo KT133A mobo

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 05:11 pm, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> 1. IIRC, USB ports on KT133A motherboards were buggy (???).

Could be.  The ATA controller was also flaking out under 4.7, but is solid as
a rock under 5.0-DP2, which is why I'm sticking with it despite other
potential bugs.  I can burn CDs now!

> 2. Drawing too much power from the USB ports can cause the ports to shut
>    down.  The absolute maximum limit is 500mA, which isn't much (some
>    2.5" USB hard disks can draw MUCH more, which violates the spec, and
>    sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't).

The behavior persists with just an optical USB mouse, which can't possibly be
sucking more than a few dozen mills.  (I hope.)

In the discussion link you sent me, they discuss the controller disabling the
port due to excessive current draw...would it re-enable the port when I
simply un/replug the mouse?  Normally I'd expect that to require a reboot.
(The mouse does come back when I remove it and reinsert it, and generally X
doesn't even notice.)

The KT133 discussion suggests it's a hardware problem, which wouldn't surprise
me...this particular mobo is a very early Athlon board, and the chipset may
be buggy.

-Cliff L. Biffle