Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 2009 17:51:50 GMT
From:      Steve Polyack <spolyack@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/137677: security.mac.bsdextended.firstmatch_enabled default is incorrect

>Number:         137677
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       security.mac.bsdextended.firstmatch_enabled default is incorrect
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The manpage for the mac_bsdextended kernel module states that the default for the security.mac.bsdextended.firstmatch_enabled is 1.  This does not appear to be true, as a recently rebuilt 6.3 machine as well as a fresh 7.2-RELEASE install both have the sysctl set to 0 upon loading the module:

$ sysctl security.mac.bsdextended.firstmatch_enabled
security.mac.bsdextended.firstmatch_enabled: 0

The source code for the module appears to initialize the sysctl with the (correct) value of 1, so I'm unsure as to where the problem actually is:
/*
 * This tunable is here for compatibility.  It will allow the user to switch
 * between the new mode (first rule matches) and the old functionality (all
 * rules match).
 */
static int ugidfw_firstmatch_enabled;
SYSCTL_INT(_security_mac_bsdextended, OID_AUTO, firstmatch_enabled,
    CTLFLAG_RW, &ugidfw_firstmatch_enabled, 1,
    "Disable/enable match first rule functionality");
>How-To-Repeat:
- Build and install a kernel with 'options MAC'.
- Reboot and kldload mac_bsdextended.
- Observe that the sysctl security.mac.bsdextended.firstmatch_enabled is set to 0 after spending a good amount of time wondering why your ugidfw rules aren't working as expected.