Date:      Wed, 01 Mar 2000 00:07:40 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        nanda@procsys.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IOCTL support in SCSI block driver

> > No.  The key issue here, and one that you still haven't answered is: Does
> > your RAID device take SCSI commands, or does it have a different
> > interface?
>
> Our RAID device takes SCSI commands. Typically the parameters passed to
> the firmware includes SCSI CDB,path id,target id,LUN number,data
> direction flag,SCSI tag queing attribute,data buffer pointers etc.
> Status returned consists of SCSI status and sense information.

Ok.  In that case, you're right on the target for using CAM.

> But my driver should also handle the IOCTL support for proprietary
> communication which will be used by a JAVA based Array Manager program
> for the purpose of getting statistics and configuring the card. Can i
> pass IOCTLs directly to the HAB SCSI CAM driver ?

No.  You will want to create a per-adapter device instance that takes the
bus/target/lun information and passes it along with the ioctl data to the
firmware.  You can see an instance of this in the Mylex driver I
referenced previously.

> I want to avoid writing another character driver just for the sake of
> IOCTL handling we could do this in Linux and Windows NT.

You don't need another entire driver; just a few extra lines to
instantiate a control interface node for the adapter.